Sunday, August 7, 2011

This post is about giving up electronics for a weekend.

At the beginning of summer, I had posted on Facebook how I wanted to have a "disconnected" weekend.  I felt like I was too absorbed by being "connected" all the time.  Every day I go to work and stare at a computer screen with occasional staring at my iPhone to check up on my social media outlets.  Then I come home and stare at my desktop computer and/or laptop and be on Facebook (and now Twitter) like all the time.  Haha, so at the beginning of summer I realized that I yearned for distancing myself away from the "connected" world...

I didn't do it til just this past weekend since I was busy with church-related happenings every weekend and a family vacation in there too.

So what became of my renunciation of Internet, computer, smart phone, TV, and GPS?  ...It felt...refreshing.  I was undoubtedly tempted to turn on my devices but meh--constant vigilance!  I stayed strong!  You know what I did instead?  Haha, I worked on painting the house, finished a book I was reading, did some Catholic reading, spent time with my dog, took lots of naps, worked on a model plane, cleaned my room some, shot my bow, bust out my clarinet in play (first time in a long while!) and got a lot of various errands done.  Needless to say, this was probably my most productive weekend in a long while! Plus it was cool for me to do fun things that didn't require a plug or wi-fi!

...Now that I'm back...I'm playing catch up since a lot can happen on Facebook in a weekend x_x ... and blogging about my weekend "disconnection."

I recommend giving up being "connected" for a little while.  It's nice to get away for a little while and focus on other things.   Just goes to show...we don't need our electronics luxuries to live and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment